Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A new character class for Ruins & Ronin

To celebrate my freedom from working on Ruins & Ronin, I decided to re-create an Oriental Adventures character race for R&R. Yeah, sometimes, I don't make sense. So without further adieu, I give you the Hengeyokai character option for R&R. If you haven't already, be sure to head over to my Lulu store front and pickup a copy of Ruins & Ronin, the cover looks fantastic on the softcover book (I got mine yesterday). Looks great alongside Swords & Wizardry books.

You can find the Hengeyokai here, or over in the download section on the sidebar.

6 comments:

  1. It's been out for 3 days and there's already bonus material? Sweet!

    Great job BTW, I got my PDF yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! One quick question, does the Hengeyokai gain the ability to talk with all animals (as it reads), or just with the animal he has changed into?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All animals. (or however your referee wants to rule it). I would say all animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than getting killed more easily in animal form, I'm wondering if there's something I can add to this class to give it a downside so that my players wouldn't choose it every time.

    I was surprised to see "darkvision" (3E?) instead of "infravision" here, only because R&R's based on the earlier rules. I prefer the term and concept of darkvision anyway to using infra-red vision. Did you choose it for the same reason, or was it just a mis-type?

    The Hengeyokai as race option in D&D seems strange given that traditionally they're seen as animals that occasionally assume human form, not the other way around, unless I'm mistaken. As much as I dislike the ability of Gygax's Gord the Thief to change into a panther, this idea does appeal to me in a cultural setting where there's more of a precedent - thanks for writing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I should have removed darkvision, it was a holdover from an earlier edit.

    The class should not have either.

    As a drawback to keep all of your players from taking the race, you could restrict it to the bujin class only. (I may do that to the class anyway).

    ReplyDelete