Here are the twenty questions answered for my WARBAND sandbox:
- What is the deal with my cleric's religion?
This is the “Grim-Dark” future, on a planet tainted by the Chaos of the Void, you follow the Gods of Change. Chaos is your master. There are many gods to choose from, some are actually gods! Some are self-made power mongers and live on your planet. However there are no clerics as players. So don’t worry too much about it.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
The starting boom-town of MORTGLUM
- Where can we go to get Power Armor custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
You will need to find a Tek-Priest of the god MEKANIK. They work wonders with their ability to craft suits of power armor, custom fitted for any size. They also craft many fine weapons of death and destruction for the Chaos Lords.
- Who is the mightiest sorcerer in the land?
The Dun-Witch that dwells in the western hills upon the shores of the Lake of Voices is the most powerful Sorcerer in the Broken Lands. She demands a high price for any who request her services.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
Spitfire Rattlebones has that distinction, he resides in a mighty fortress near the Mountains of Fire and Ash.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
Lord Ashmark of the city OSIRIAX has that honor. He is the current Magistrate and controls all trade and taxes in the city.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
Old Sawbones in Mortglum can provide basic healing (at a reasonable rate). I would suggest investing heavily in medi-kits for emergency healing. For the removing of curses, you will need to visit the Dun-Witch or reach a high enough level yourself.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
Again, the Dun-Witch or reach a high enough level yourself
- Is there a guild my Sorcerer belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
Yes, there are Orders & Covens for Sorcerers. Though they are corrupt and full of vile, envious, sorts jealous of your power and willing to trick you into giving them all they need. It is a dog-eat-dog world and as Norm said, you are wearing milk-bone underwear.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
Your best bet is the city of OSIRIAX.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
Well, you have your own retinue to start with in WARBAND, but you can always hire on new meat at most towns and OSIRIAX. There are orders of mercenaries that act much like a guild and offer reasonable rates, though professionalism and quality may vary.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
Are you kidding? This is CHAOS! This is the wild-west with chainswords and bolt guns. You are the LAW!
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
Step on it to Rotgut’s Saloon, owned and operated by Rotgut since M39.87. The finest (well the only) tavern / hostel in Mortglum.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
There is the Slothrog roaming the mountains south of Mortglum which the Dun-Witch would pay handsomely for its carcass.
While not technically a monster, the warrior Spitfire Rattlebones has become a thorn in the side of Lord Ashmark, who would pay dearly to see the end of that noted warrior.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
There are always wars brewing between warbands, and petty lords in their fortresses of stone. This is the Broken Lands, you will find war and plunder at every turn. Let’s not forget the Black-Elves that have recently been sited creeping from their hidden lairs in the north.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
Of course, the city of OSIRIAX hosts many spectacular games in the grand arena.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
Sure, Orders & Covens are the go to for this sort of affair. Watch your back.
- What is there to eat around here?
Well, there is always slug-meat, orana fruit (and orange-banana hybrid), steel-grass seeds (used for bread), milk from the sloth-goat. All of these yummy treats and more.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
No. But there may be later.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Did I mention the Slothrog earlier, that dude is one bad mother… I’m just talking ‘bout Slothrog.